Thursday, June 29, 2006

Somebody's Cranky!

-bathy-
I’m driving, as always.
Tim has a 40 minute commute to and from work, so the last thing he wants to do is get behind the wheel after he’s home.

We get in the car and the Mountain Goats are playing. I say, "This is the same exact song that was playing when I backed into your truck!" I was too busy listening to it to look before backing out. Stupid.
He says, "I know. Don't hit my truck again."
I didn't. But I think that CD is cursed.
Anyhoo, we’re moving along, and I’m telling him about how Audrey impressed me today:

Out of the blue, she placed a slobbery wet finger right on the tip of my nose. I said, “Yes. Nose. Mama’s nose. Where’s Audrey’s nose?” She transferred her slimy digit to the side of her nose and then corrected it to land right on top. (Now, we've been working a little with her on this one.) That’s not the impressive part. I thought, “I’ll just push the envelope and see what happens.”
“Where’s Audrey’s hair?”
Without hesitation, she places both hands on her head and pretends to be shampooing herself. Right on.
“Where’s Audrey’s ear?”
Again, she surprises me. Instead of just showing me where one ear lives on her face, she cups both of her hands and places them dead center over both ears. The surprise on my face is what must have made her giggle.
It stops there. She has no idea where her mouth, cheeks or eyes are.

I finish telling Tim all about it and I say, “Isn’t that awesome?”
“Yeah. Are you gonna run this light?”
I answered him after I actually ran the damn thing. “Uh, yeah. I guess I am. I did. Uht!”
I check the rearview mirror while he shakes his head.

I try to start up another conversation, quick, before I have to defend my driving capabilities. I told him that I think we should start talking to Audrey more like she’s an adult than a baby. “She’s learning so fast!” I said. Tim, in his sarcastic-after-a-long-boring-day-of-work way, turns back to the car seat and says in a low monotone voice, “Hello Audrey. How are you doing today?”
I nearly ran off the road because, Audrey, watching him so seriously responded quite maturely by raising her arm and giving him an open-handed, “Hi” without ever taking the bottle out of her mouth.
“SEE!” I said.

On the way back home, I’m engrossed in my own thoughts and I hear Tim say, “Are you gonna run that same light?”
After I accidentally ran the same damn light, I just looked over at him and shrugged my shoulders. “I guess so.”

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love The Mountain Goats. Which song was playing?

9:34 AM  
Blogger angela said...

yeah. well i was into them too, until they wrecked both of our cars! just kidding. i still like them (rather, him). dilaudid off of the sunset tree was playing.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Brooks Brown said...

Consider yourself lucky. I got pulled over and ticketed for the same offense two weeks ago. I started out late for work, which is why I ran the light, and then became super late for work.

6:33 PM  
Blogger angela said...

i hear ya. the bluelights suck.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home