Sunday, June 25, 2006

Nostalgia Hits Me Hard

Thank you Fred.
It all started because I read this.

After I read that, I followed a link to this and watched it.
After I finish this post, I'm going to go back and watch the Parts 2- 9 of the American Television Interview with Fred Rogers. The first one had me in tears and I realized how much I learned from his shows as a kid. I never got to say thank you. I vow to be more like Fred.

Watching those videos hit a chord deep inside me. I felt it almost necessary to rush to the store and buy all of the episodes of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Fred Rogers and the Sesame Street characters had a profound impact on my childhood and I wanted the same for Audrey immediately.

Luckily, Tim wanted to venture to Whole Foods tonight and the bookstore is right next door. So, we went. I was crowding the DVD family section with Audrey in her stroller. I searched for episodes and series of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I couldn't find them. I went to the computer to search for them so that I could place an order for them. While searching, my ears were tuned-in to a mother and her two kids searching for a DVD to buy. The mom says, "Shirley Temple. She was a dancer." Her son says, "Shirley Temple. That's a drink!" I burst out laughing. The mom and I shared a warm glance and I added, "A very good one too!" They finally decided on Chicken Little. Anyhoo, they do not exist, the DVD's. I can't believe that you cannot purchase tv episodes of either show! I did go ahead and purchase this. I opted for the DVD complete with the bonus trolley rather than the sweater. I found the sweater to be humorous, but the tolley to be more practical for Audrey.

I also purchased a CD of Sesame Street Favorites. Tim booed at this selection. I told him that he didn't have to listen to it, it was for Audrey's benefit.

As we returned to the car to go home, Tim made a snide remark. (I can't remember what it was about.) As punishment, I put in the Sesame Street CD. He pouted. Three tracks into it I silently looked over at him and saw that he was subtly nodding his head to "Who are the People in Your Neighborhood?". He finally noticed that I was watching him and we both burst out into a childish laughter. We were rockin' out. "C is for Cookie" soon came on and Audrey joined in with her creature voice. We nearly wet ourselves. She is such a trip.

When we got home, I jumped on eBay to see if I could find tv episodes there. No luck. I googled. No luck, but I did find this:
The Sesame Street Episodes on DVD Petition
Please join me in signing. I really want these for my own. I wonder if there is a black market for this stuff. I wish. I wish. I wish.

P.S. Did you know that up until his mother died, she knit all of the sweaters that he wore on the show? (You did if you watched Part 1 of the interview!) Gia, I knew you'd appreciate that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

C_ told me that his mother would knit him a sweater for Christmas. His mom would say Fred was easy. The color didn't matter. He just wanted a zipper.

Thanks for the follow up.

8:16 AM  
Blogger angela said...

Yeah. She knit everyone in his family a sweater every year! She must have been fast. It would take me 12 years to knit a sweater. If it ain't square, it ain't gonna happen.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I wouldn't give to see the little trolley clanging into the King's castle with the purple panda's lurking around.
Suzanne

3:41 PM  
Blogger angela said...

What I wouldn't give to see little K'mae right now. Audrey tried calling her on the cell, but I guess Kite doesn't get service out there in the sticks???
: )

4:13 PM  
Blogger angela said...

ali- you rock! i should have known to talk to you about this issue! : )
hugs.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home