Saturday, June 24, 2006

Our Saturday Adventure.

Tim: “What do you want to do today?”
Me: “Same thing I’ve suggested every Saturday for the past two months.”
Tim: “What?”
Me: (Dirty look from a furrowed brow.) “Take a guess.”
Tim: (Eyes looking toward the ceiling. Thinking. A light bulb goes off.) “Awwww! Naw! I don’t want to do that.”
Me: “I don’t care what you want. We’re doing what I want today.”
Tim: (Crosses arms. Sticks lower lip out.) Fine.

I continue to surf the web and decide to take a look at the High Museum’s site, since we were finally in agreement. I was hoping to find out if the Chuck Close exhibit was still there, that being the main reason I’d been hounding him for so long. I couldn’t find out what the current exhibit was, but I did come across a calendar of sorts.

Me: (Looking at the online calendar) “Hey! They have Toddler Thursdays! Isn’t that cool?”
Tim: (In the bathroom getting dressed) “Good. You can take her on Thursday then.”
Me: Shuddup. We’re going. TODAY.

There’s a hustle bustle in the upstairs of our house. We both get dressed. Tim gets Audrey dressed. I brush my teeth.

Tim: (From downstairs) “Hurry up! Let’s go! I’m hungry!”
Me: (From the upstairs bathroom) “Don’t rush me!”
Tim: “I’m putting Audrey in the car. Come ON!”
Me: (Grab camera. Grab bottle. Comfortable shoes or hip shoes? Hip shoes. Lock door. Get in car.) “Do I look like a hootchi-mama today?”
Tim: (Monotone) “No. You look like a Yuppie.”
Me: (Starting the car) “Asshole.”
(Both laughing on the inside.)

We finish breakfast and head for The High. I’m so excited to finally be doing something different. I accidentally took the longest route there. We drove all the way down Peachtree Street, through town. We stretch our necks to see the tops of skyscrapers. We watch the tourists in the crosswalks that seem so out of place.

Me: “We NEVER come downtown. We live in Atlanta and we NEVER come downtown.”
Tim: “Why would we; to see homeless people?”

We get to The High, park and I notice that there is not a ginormous banner hanging from the front of the building. Damn. There’s no Chuck Close exhibit. We missed it. I knew it.

Me: “When did the Chuck Close exhibit go down? I mean when was the last viewing?”
Employee: “Last weekend.”
Me: (Shooting Tim a glare of disbelief.) “Damn it.”

We bought tickets anyway. We put our little numbered stickers on our chests and went straight to the new wing. It was awesome. They moved the contemporary stuff in the new space and it is just the right setting. The first painting I saw stunned me. I love Anselm Kiefer and I’d never seen this painting before.
As Vast as the Ocean or the Stars
Isn't it amazing? Those are waves. Can you see them? And the sky is a labeled map of the constellations. It was almost as great as being on the beach. I love art. You can see the rest of the pictures from the adventure here: Audrey's first trip to The High Museum of Art. I think she had a good time.

After we'd seen all we wanted to see, we headed back to the lobby to leave. We were waiting at the corner to cross the street and Tim says, "Oh yeah." He nods in the direction of the light post and I nod in agreement. I look down at my chest for my admission sticker so that I can follow Atlanta tradition and stick it to the light post. "I can't find it?"
"What did you do with it?"
I shrug my shoulders, "It must have fallen off in the lawn somewhere."
Tim sticks his on the pole and we safely cross the street.

We make it to the house. Tim puts Audrey down for a nap and joins me in the bedroom. It is almost the exact same setting as earlier this morning: He lays on the bed and I sit at the computer. I finish uploading my pictures and yawn while simultaneously lifting my arms behind my head. I laugh hysterically.

Tim: "What is so funny?"
Me: (Swivel to face him while holding my position.) "I found my sticker!"
Tim: (Squinting) "Where?"
Me: (Still holding my position. Eyes lead him to look in the right direction.) "Under my arm!"
Tim:(Joining me in laughter) "How could you not feel that?"
Me: "I dunno."
Tim: "Aren't you going to take that off? How could you not feel that?"
I shrugged my shoulders.

He gets up from the bed to go downstairs. I get up to go to the bathroom. I look in the mirror and laugh at myself again. It's smack dab in the center of my lunchlady. I start to peel it off and i figure out why I couldn't feel it.
It was fused to my skin.
I had to hold back my scream while peeling it off. I didn't know my lunchlady could stretch that far. There's still a red mark. I swear.

3 Comments:

Blogger eva said...

This photo is gorgeous. Given Kiefer and Close... I wouldn't be able to choose, but it would be awesome to see Close's work. I'm sure it's so different from the text-book slides because you can actually see the individual parts. I know for a fact that the Shermans are missing you VERY much, and I must say I'm sad that I may never see you guys again. Anyway, another with the teary stuff, sorry!

1:22 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Looks like fun! And I do like your shoes... I caught a glimpse of them in the one picture that you're in.

2:26 PM  
Blogger angela said...

eva- thanks for the compliment. i love that photo too. it's a new family fav.
i wouldn't count on not seeing us again. we plan on doing our best to see the Shermans on a somewhat regular basis. I KNOW we'll be there for the second birthday, to say the least. we'll see you again missy.

jen- you have to see the front of them. they are so lucille ball. it was good to talk to you today, although i always feel that we get cut short.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home