Thursday, February 07, 2008

It came in the mail, today.

It came by mail, today.
So, we caved.
We decided to let Audrey watch a movie. I hardly thought she'd sit still for more than 5 minutes of it. You can imagine my shock when she sat through all of it.
I sat there, next to her, and watched it too. It'd been years since I'd seen "Snow White" in its entirety. There were several parts that I'd forgotten about. For example, when the hunter lifts his knife to stab her, when the vultures circle round and round in the sky waiting to devour the queen's dead body or the trippy scene where the trees turn into demons and she barely escapes their wrath.
I kept thinking to myself, "These are big themes. Should she be watching this? This is kind of violent. Should I turn this off?" But, I didn't. She was intrigued. She was inquisitive. She was curious.
After the third viewing (not consecutive), she was singing all of the songs. She was aking more questions and putting more concepts together.
I decided it wasn't a bad thing.

She's obsessed.
And in case you're wondering, her favorite dwarf is Dopey (followed closely by Grumpy).
I catch her singing, "Some Day My Prince Will Come" in the privacy of her room.
She sleeps with her Snow White doll every night. After trying on her new dress, she ran to find her Snow White doll so she could tell her, "I have a dress just like you! Yes, I do! We have the same dress now Snow White. Uh-huh." So cute!
The Evil Queen was formerly known as the (eye-val queen), although Audrey pronounces it correctly now.

We coaxed her to take off the dress for night-night by reasoning with her. "You don't want to get the dress all dirty and wrinkled, do you?"

P.S. The girl is totally potty trained now.
It has a cape!

5 Comments:

Blogger Beck said...

Love and Love and Love it. Way to go Ms. Audrey on the potty-training.

And great idea about the book!!!!

10:12 PM  
Blogger tubesy said...

Oh my, that's adorable.

Those early Disney movies were no joke - super intense!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Brooks Brown said...

Absolutely darling and congrats on potty training -- a major accomplishment for the whole family.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

It's funny how different things look from an adult's perspective. I haven't seen Snow White in many years, and I don't remember any of that...just a witch in a mirror, an apple, some dwarfs, a prince, and a kiss. She's such a cutie in the dress!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first of all, i can't believe it took. you. this. long. to cave on movie-watching. i am so weak. you are my hero.

secondly- yay for potty training! failing miserably here. again, you are my hero.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home