Sunday, September 24, 2006

Stupid Southerners

This morning, as usual, we went out for brunch.

I was extremely excited because a J. Christopher's opened in downtown Decatur. Nothing special, just some place new to go.
Anyway, because I had gotten up at 6:30am with Audrey, had already been out to Roswell to visit the fam and was ready for a nap, I opted for the turkey reuben rather than breakfast.
I was so disappointed when my plate was brought to me. Turkey- check. Rye-check. Swiss cheese- check. Thousand Island dressing- check. One very important element, THE most important element was missing- the sauerkraut.
I caught the waitress's attention on her way back around and asked, "Call me crazy, but isn't there supposed to be sauerkraut on this?" She said she didn't think so, but she'd get me some if I wanted some. (Um, yeah! That's the whole reason I ordered a reuben. Duh!)
She returned to our table and said, "We don't have any sauerkraut. It doesn't come on the sandwich."
I looked at Tim in disbelief.
He said, "Go get a menu. I don't believe her."
So I did.
I read the whole description, (instead of just stopping at turkey reuben like the first time I read it) and realized that nowhere in the description did it mention sauerkraut. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? I ate my friggin' naked reuben anyway. I wasn't happy about it, but I ate it.

I couldn't help myself when our waitress brought our check. I flipped one of the receipts over and wrote this message:
Dear Manager-
A Reuben of any kind should have sauerkraut on it by simple definition. It's very misleading for a patron that doesn't read the full description on your menu.
I was very tempted to add: "Thanks for ruining my morning." but I didn't.


From Wikipedia:
The Reuben or Reuben sandwich is a grilled or toasted sandwich made with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and Russian dressing. It is typically made with rye bread, though originally it may have been served on pumpernickel bread.


There is some controversy as to where the first reuben was served- Omaha? or NYC?
You can do the research.

5 Comments:

Blogger pumpernickel said...

http://pumpernickie.blogspot.com/2006/08/pumpernickel-recipe-number-3-reuben.html

Here's my favorite reuben recipe - note the sauerkraut.

Pumpernickie

1:01 AM  
Blogger jen said...

I would be highly disappointed too... I loves me some sauerkraut. Although I prefer my reuben with spicy mustard instead of dressing. Yum.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, the recipe on the back of the BoarsHead sauerkraut (get it at Publix)is my favorite. You actually mix the sauerkraut with the Thousand Island dressing so that it all stays on there better. Brilliant and yummy!

Suzanne

10:13 PM  
Blogger Brooks Brown said...

you are totally right waddy. there is no such thing as a reuben without sauerkraut. what they are serving is merely a turkey sammich.

2:43 PM  
Blogger angela said...

i'm just glad to hear that there is some love for the reuben. yum.
i'll make sure i get the real thing this weekend.
the search is on.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home