Sunday, August 13, 2006

15 Months going on 3 years.

a glimpse of audrey as a crabby old woman
RIGHT NOW...

My favorite thing about you is: I love when you and daddy come get me up in the morning. You lean over me and say, "Hi mama. Hi mama. Hi mama." until I open my eyes and say, "Good mornin' sugar bear!"
I also adore how you will stick your hand out now as a cue for me to give you my finger. You know that we need to hold hands when we're walking in public.
I love how you clap your hands twice and then open your arms for me to pick you up.
I love how you are learning to say 'please'. It sounds nothing like 'please' and everything like a small high-pitched squeak. I can't get enough of that.
I love watching you fall asleep in the car or in your stroller. You fight it. It's an extension of your personality, I'm sure. You are such a determined little girl.
I also love how you stare out the car window. Your eyes go back and forth very quickly from object to object. You are soaking it all in. Also, you are really starting to make some funny faces. I wonder if you'll have plastic-face like your dad!

i could paint the world with a brush this size...

The biggest relief would be:
if you would drink milk! A couple weeks ago we quit the bottle cold turkey. You were none too pleased. You have boycotted milk ever since! I think I'm tricking you by saying, "Want some wah-wah?" You know as soon as the straw comes close to your lips that it's not wah-wah and you furiously shake your head NO!. I'm beginning to get worried that you'll never drink milk again. I haven't devised a plan yet. I'm stumped. You've stumped me and you're only one!

couch potato phenomenon: one year old already has perfect form.  too bad the only entertainment she gets is from her parents

What I’m most looking forward to is:
for you to start speaking in sentences. I know you are so frustrated when daddy and I don't understand you. I can see in your eyes. You know exactly what you want, but you just can't tell us. You have been very whiney lately. I know that's why. It hurts me that I can't figure you out sometimes. I feel like I'm failing you somehow. It used to be so easy when you were little. You'd cry because you needed to be fed, nursed, put down for a nap or changed. Now, there are so many reasons why you might be crying: you want to leave the room, you want to touch the radio, you want lotion on your hand, you want me to hold you, you want down, you want up, you want more food, you want your red and purple sippy cup....it's just so hard to know.

New words: UP! , down, uh-huh, please! , Audrey (only once so far), more, sock, moo, shhhh! , i cute? and she kind of counts. we're working on it. the only number that sounds correct is 'two'.

EATING EGGickERS.

Some of the funny things you've done lately: uh, just this morning you amazed us with how much you ate. You had two eggs, a piece of buttered toast, 2 soysage links, and half of a lemon poppyseed pancake! You were still signing for more, even after all of our plates were licked clean.
You stuck your finger in your nose for the first time. As much as we didn't want to laugh, it was too funny not to.
I was looking for my cc statement one night to place it in my files. I knew it was in the bedroom somewhere. I had JUST seen it! I found it the next morning- in the toilet. My sentiments exactly. How did you get so smart?
And last night, Tim and I did an experiment on you. It was an experiment to see if you were/are self-aware. What we did is, took some lipstick and drew a dot on your nose. We placed you in front of the bathroom mirror. You could have done one of two things: touched the red dot in the mirror or touched the red dot on your nose. The former would show that you think your reflection is a different person. The latter would show that you are aware that you exist as your own person. You proved your identity! It was so funny to watch. You KNOW that you are Audrey Rose. How awesome is that?

a test in self-awareness: photo 1 of 3
a test in self-awareness: photo 2 of 3
a test in self-awareness: photo 3 of 3

The only thing I'm hating right now is that I don't get to see you much anymore. Starting tomorrow, most likey, I will be leaving for work before you get up. I'll pick you up from school at 4:00 and feed you and bathe you. At 6:30 you'll be ready for bed. Two and a half hours. That's all I get. I want to cry right now, just thinking about it. I miss you already.
Please don't forget that even though you spend more time with complete strangers, I love you the most!

Side note:
I think America is screwed up! It isn't fair that both parents have to work two jobs only to have their children be brought up by strangers. Don't you think that's screwy? And if you're a single mom or dad? I won't even go there.
Priorities people. Priorities.
I'll stop, before this gets political.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno if it's a political thing, so much as a cultural thing... we seem to put our values in different places than other parts of the world (or other parts in time)... right or wrong...

This was actually really interesting to read. Some friends of mine have a 2 and a half year old, and she's really the first baby of one of my peers that I've been able to watch from birth on, and it's been far more fascinating than I ever imagined. Watching them develop cognitive processes, communication skills, that youthful, innocent curiosity. I know it sounds cheesy, but the emotion it brings out for me is "hope."

And it makes me want one of the little buggers. Arrrgh!

Ok, enough thinking about stuff, back to Flickring! :)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi wonderful lady! You, Tim and Audrey were in my dream last night. I showed up at your house and you were baking something. Audrey was covered in flour, waving a measuring cup at me and talking a mile a minute. So great to see you all again, even if I made it up!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Autumn said...

so much love here. it was a beautiful and fun read. not to mention adorable pics. and it is a f***ing shame that you have to be away from her when you'd rather be with her. hugs. i am near cryign for you. those 2.5 hours will the best of the whole day for all of you!

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this and got a lump in my throat. I know how you feel..She's just amazing Angela. I lvoe what you wrote about her..I really do need to start doing the same for my daughter. I know Audrey knows just how much you love her despite the time away. don't you hate it..??? Me too.

Ingrid

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home