Saturday, July 15, 2006

Happy 14 Months Punky!

a stunned snaggle-toothed diamond studded soon-to-be star


RIGHT NOW...

My favorite thing about you is: your ability to recognize things. For example, when you hear the phone ring, you stop everything and look for where the sound is coming from.
If we’re in the kitchen getting ready to eat breakfast and you hear the Sesame Street Theme Song in the other room, you raise your eyebrows and start clapping along.
Everyday, about the same time, we’ll be playing in your room and the dogs will start barking. You run to the gate that blocks the doorway and yell, “Da-Da! Da-Da!” You know to expect the sound of turning keys, and then, the opening of a door. It will only be a matter of moments before he’s up the stairs and whisking you into his arms.
Your spacial awareness is also growing more keen. You will put your hand out behind you to feel for the wall before leaning up against it. I saw you get on your hands and knees and reach up under your kitchenette to get a dusty book. You couldn’t have done that last month.
Your ability to recognize humor also tickles me. One of your favorite things to do is to ‘share’ your bottle. You think it’s so funny when we pretend to drink your Ba-Ba or hug your lovies (turtle and owl baby). You are quickly learning the concept of yours, mine and ours. I don’t know how happy I am about the ‘mine’ concept. (Thanks Papaw!)
My most favorite thing of all that you do now is you give the best, most endearing hugs. AND you say, “Awwww” while doing so. You’ve even been known to simultaneously pat your dad on the back. What talent! You’re just too damn cute right now.

The biggest relief would be: if you would go back to the wonderful napper you once were. You are such a pill to put down now. You fight. You charm. You wiggle. You scream. Never before have I had to put you down and let you cry it out. I hate it. I’ve done it the past two days, and yes, you DO finally go to sleep, but I just know you are cursing my name as you doze off. Is there any other way? I’m hoping that it’s just your teeth. (Everything gets blamed on the teeth.) Otherwise, my hair will be growing gray much faster than I’d like. I really don’t need any more wrinkles either. Please, try to be co-operative this month!
.Audrey Somewhat Flocked.
What I’m most looking forward to is: I can’t believe I’m typing this, but for daycare to start. I’m worried that you are getting bored here at home with me. You're getting tired of playing with the same toys and being in the same boring rooms. I think you need some new stimulation. Also, you are growing somewhat clingy (not that I mind too much) and I think it will be in your best interest to play with other kids. Just don’t teach them the ‘mine’ concept, okay? I don’t need any phone calls at age 1.

New words: No Ma’am, No (You are also shaking your head no.), Kitty, Shoe, Shirt, Night-Night, Diaper, Water, Getchu, Hair, Ear, Nose, Right Here!, Go Bye-Bye, Mom-mah! (when you really really want something). Your ability to understand what is being said to you is amazing. I can command you to dance, point to body parts, stand up, sit down, go nigh-nigh, blow kisses, get me a wipey, get me a diaper and probably much more that I’m forgetting. You even try unsuccessfully to dress yourself. Your thirst for knowledge and independence is amazing, and scary, all at the same time.

Some of the funny things you've done lately: Just today you started chasing me around the room. You could barely walk because you were giggling so hard. I loved it. You almost kicked it into a run, but you’re not quite that fluid yet.
I was in the shower a couple of days ago and you were in your playpen, as usual. I heard you scream something. You hardly ever raise your voice to that level. I pulled back the shower curtain so that you wouldn’t be so muffled and you screamed it again. “ELMO!” You were clapping your hands together and looking up at the TV I left on for background noise. Never in my life have I seen you so excited. What IS it about Elmo?
You play peek-a-boo now: You cover your own eyes and then say, “Boo,” instead of releasing your hands first. It’s still cute.
When you’ve had enough of being inside you will either grab your monogrammed bag or find my keys or purse and say, “Bye-Bye!” If those items are not in sight you will simply go to the door and reach the knob while repeating, “Bye-Bye!” If I don’t succumb to your wishes you will promptly throw a fit. Yes, they have begun.
And finally, you have started doing little stunts, like this one:
dirty diaper dare devils get their practice on plastic chairs before they move to motorcycles.
Audrey, you have always been your own person, from the moment you arrived in this strange world. I am just getting so many more glimpses as to who that person is exactly.
You seem to have a new sparkle in your eye this month. I’m not quite sure, but I think I see a little sneakiness there. Some parents might be worried. I, on the other hand, expect it from my daughter. Frankly, I’d be a little worried if you didn’t have the sneaky gene.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brooks Brown said...

Punky power!
I knew she had some sneakiness in those photos you took of her trying to "share" Kitely's bottle with her.

I'm in your city until Wednesday. Let me know what your schedule looks like.

2:47 PM  
Blogger angela said...

b- i'm calling you. right now.

beck- she brings tears to my eyes too...on a daily basis.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Brooks Brown said...

That picture of her in the glasses -- could she be any more your child?

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I just lost my post.

Anyway, I SAID...

That glasses photo is priceless!

And we blame all bad things on teething because we cannot accept that we could ever have an ill-tempered child. Nope. It's the teeth, dammit!

And Audrey says a LOT of words! Very impressive :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger angela said...

brooks- all that silliness? it has to be her dad. me? really?

izzy- she was soooo perfect up until this month. wha happened? reading your post gave me hope though. i hope there is an end to all the fussiness....i just can't see the light right now.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home