Friday, May 28, 2010

It's Official. I have a Kindergartner.




I was so glad to be able to go to her signing party and hear her teacher and peers say their good-byes. She truly had a wonderful year.

Chairs for parents were set up around the kids' mat. (Audrey sits on the number 3.) And the kids sang us a cute little song to get started. (Audrey was belting it out in such an animated fashion. Very cute.) After they finished, her teacher explained that she was about to hand out special certificates. Her and her para had pondered over what they thought the professions of the students would be in the future. She then, separately, had the children draw pictures of what they wanted to be when they grew up. It was a super funny presentation/celebration.
There were lawyers that wanted to become baseball players, artists that really wanted nothing more than to be farmers and presidents that secretly wanted to be race car drivers.

Audrey's teacher announced that she thought Audrey would be seen on tv either as a performer or a singer. She said Audrey is ALWAYS singing or dancing around the room. Now, Audrey on the other hand, wanted to become a ballet instructor. I didn't see that one coming. (Guess I'd better sign her up again for another year of classes!)

Lastly, Audrey and her peers went around and autographed each others' papers.

I loved watching them socially move about the room. And was reminded how socially awkward I felt! I hadn't made a great attempt at getting to know any of her classmates' parents this year. Mental note: more play dates next year!

As we collected her gifts, gave our last hugs and thank yous, I found myself thinking how long ago it was that I began my school career as a kindergartner. I have such vivid memories of kindergarten. I tried to remember what that little girl felt like.

She felt excited and hopeful and happy most of the time.
She didn't feel the anxiety of the arrival of an ending (like, say, a year of school) but more or less took life as it came at her.

We left her first classroom ever, walked down the hallway holding hands and talking about the picnic that just her and I would have at the park.


I'm so thankful that her teachers took great pride in providing an excellent education. It must be so incredibly difficult to deal with 20 kids ages 4-5, to plan incredibly interesting activities and field trips, to instill the importance of routine and so much more. Oh, the patience they must have! I know Audrey will remember her first classroom teacher for the rest of her life.

I can only imagine what kindergarten will bring...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home