Friday, March 26, 2010

Tottie, you amaze me.

*This post is dedicated entirely to Harper because she very rarely gets a post all to herself whereas Audrey has 6,221 (or roughly thereabout).


I love how you grab my chin and turn it so that my eyes meet yours.
Your little voice as it asks in a broken sentence, "Y' Okay Mama?" is the sweetest sound.
I swell with so much love that I think my heart will break out of my chest.
How did we make such a cute little package?

You've taken to wearing your boots on your arms, teasing your dad by locking the car door when he goes to get you out of your car seat, running around naked screaming "apple bottom!" and "girl part!" while pointing to the appropriate anatomy, hiding quietly in the closet from the monster, throwing your sippy cup (hopefully) into the sink that you can't really see but know is there, somewhere, above you. The way you ask, "Wha' happon?" and then immediately answer yourself, "Idunnoknow!" while throwing your hands up in the air like a pro... kills me. The other thing that kills me? We're getting ready for school in the morning and I'm always running around like a lunatic: "Where are my keys?" Close the bedroom doors. "Audrey, get your jacket on!" Put the kids' chairs on the couch so the dogs don't get hair all over it. "Audrey, I mean it. We're late!" Where the hell did I put my keys? "Search the bathroom. Search my pockets from last night. Look on top of the pie safe. "Okay, I found the keys, get your book bag!" The whole time I'm freaking out... you just stand there Tottie, wait for the right moment, put out your hand and calmly say, "C'mon Mama." I love holding your tiny little hand on the way out the door. Sometimes, it's the highlight of my day.

The other night, (yes, it was a school night) my eyes just suddenly opened in the darkness. I had no idea what time it was because we don't have a clock in our bedroom. (Well, we do but it's never set to the correct time. Actually, I think it's unplugged at this point.) Anyway, I couldn't go back to sleep. I walked out into the living room, got on the computer, went straight to facebook (of course) to see who else was up at this ungodly hour (which turned out to be 2:30am) and updated my status to read: "What am I doing up?"
Not 10 minutes later I heard you talking in your sleep, Tottie. You said, "Zat fun?" I was already deep in thought about what you must be dreaming about when you then laughed in your sleep.

You were laughing in your sleep!!!

I knew then, why I had woken. It was clear. That little laugh? It was meant for me.

Thank you, Tottie.

2 Comments:

Blogger geckonia said...

you make me wish I had kids!! If they ever get on your nerves, you can send them to me. :-)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Ang, Seriouly... we have birthed twins and they live with two families in separate states! Chris LOVES to turn my head like that, and he says "idonknow" all the time while raising his little shoulders. SO cute! He can be such a handful, but man do I love him. Thanks for sharing you stories with us. :)

Love you more, Mere

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home