Sunday, March 14, 2010

Eywa

AGP_9146 1
Tim and I just saw Avatar, tonight.
I thought it was brilliant.
I don't want to talk about the movie in depth or why I thought it was brilliant but I do want to talk about what it made me think about- the environment.

We took the girls on a nature walk recently and we went off the path (not far off the path) and discovered a little sandy beach on the river. It was great in theory, but in reality it was stinky and so very polluted. Tires, beer cans (old pull tabs) glass and miscellaneous junk lined the shore while plastic bags, a million plastic bags waved from the trees at the height of the last flooding of the river.
I was in shock.
Serious shock.
We really are killing our Mother.

Just last week I witnessed one of my students chunk a milk carton into a shrub. There was a trash can not 5 feet from her. I called her out on it and her response was simply, "Oh, you saw that?" accompanied by laughter.

I should have ordered her go back and pick it up. But again, the shock, it just took over.

Anyway, more about the nature walk:
We'd been on this trail once before and we were excited to go back to the "beaver pond" so the girls could sit on the lookout chairs and climb up on the deck to overlook the marshy area.
We finally arrived and were stunned to see that a solar powered security camera had been installed near the deck. Seriously?

I wished I'd taken a picture of it. It looked so strange and surreal there, out of place.

And since our outing, I've noticed a lot that seems strange and surreal. I've really stopped to look at the bigger picture... and I don't like it.

Not that I have the answer or even have the slightest bit of power or backing to make a significant difference, but I think about it.

I want to feel more connected to Nature.

I just want to feel more connected.

A co-worker used the perfect word to describe how I've been feeling, lately. Fragmented.
Hello, I am Angela and I'm fragmented.

AGP_9188
AGP_9143 1
AGP_9136 1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home