Thursday, January 03, 2013

Day Three


COMEBACK.

“What an odd thing a diary is: the things you omit are more important than those you put in.” -Simone de Beauvoir, The Woman Destroyed

Today was nerve wracking on so many levels. I woke up earlier than I needed to, just to be certain the girls made it to school on time. Then, I had to check Audrey out for her dreaded dentist appointment- dreaded by me, not her. 
The last trip to the dentist brought on streaks of silent tears for me when I was told her tooth did not have a cavity like I thought; it was, in fact, a new tooth emerging without the enamel. All of her first molars have grown in sans the beautiful white shiny enamel most of us take for granted, me included. No enamel? How can that happen? Why does that happen? I was so upset. Audrey, however, didn't seem to be all that worried. So, I tried to adopt her carefree attitude.

It was hard though, putting on a happy face in that dentist's office today. Audrey was getting her first filling. I did my best to prepare her for the hurt and pain she was about to experience without scaring her completely. She remained cool while I paced the floor and wrestled with my hands. The dentist took one look at me and promptly kicked me out of the room.

My stomach turned as I waited. I paced some more, peeked around the corner, got a glimpse of the needle and listened for the whimper. 
It never came. 
45 minutes later, Audrey proudly walked out into the waiting area with a smile and stated, "It wasn't really all that bad. I didn't even cry."

I think similar words escaped my lips a little later in the day when talking with my mother about a completely different but somewhat similar situation.

Let's just say we can both sleep a little easier tonight, Audrey and I.

Speaking of sleep, I'd write more, but it's already 1am and I have to get up early again tomorrow.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home