Monday, August 29, 2005

Ominous Skies



I found myself looking up into the sky on several different occasions tonight. The thought of living off the gulf coast sends chills down my spine. I can't imagine losing everything. Katrina may be the most expensive storm to hit the states. Watching the wind whip through the tree tops in our back yard makes me thankful. Thankful that it's not whipping through at 100-140 mile an hour speeds. Those news broadcasters are insane. You couldn't pay me enough to stand out in a storm like that.
Also, what's up with people that don't evacuate or leave their houses when they know they are right in line with disaster? They knew the flooding would be catastrophic. I love our house and our possessions, but damn if I'm gonna hack through the roof with an axe to get to higher ground. I would like to think that by the time water reached my ankles I'd be getting the F outta there.
I won't be sleeping well tonight. When there is a threat of tornadoes, I think every sound is a possible on-coming funnel.
I sure hope my friends in Birmingham are alright.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brooks Brown said...

waddy-- we made it through last night just fine. i can't believe how little wind and rain came through birmingham to be honest. i looked around our neighborhood today and all i see is one huge branch down in my neighbor's yard blocking the street. other than that, i can see no damage to any house in my two block area. thanks for calling and checking up on us. all is calm here now and i think many of us in this city are just thanking our lucky stars that we dodged the intense heart of the storm that blew through to the west of us. the images out out new orleans, south mississippi and south alabama are just heart breaking, i wish there was something i could do to help.

1:40 PM  
Blogger angela said...

I'm so glad that it missed you. I got a little worried when you didn't pick up. I didn't realize you were still working at the paper! Good for you.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home